Tuesday, April 16, 2013

CHIHUAHUA


It’s hard to believe I am about to type the words “third trimester.” But I just did. And so I guess that makes it official … we are 28 weeks!

On the food-spectrum, our baby is the size of a Chinese Cabbage. I don’t have the first clue what a Chinese Cabbage looks like. And if I am being 100% honest, I don’t really care to find out.  Fortunately, one of my favorite pregnancy blogs, “"The Pregnant Chicken," said that at 28 weeks our baby is the size of a Chihuahua.  I saw a Chihuahua this past weekend and its legs were scampering across the sidewalk as it pulled against the owner's leash. I marinated in the idea of that rowdy Chihuahua romping around in my tummy for about 5 seconds … and then I got a little freaked out.  But I have to admit that the movement of the pup’s little feet kinda reminded me of our Baby’s kicks.    They are getting so much stronger and more frequent!  
27 Weeks with Kiki, GP, and Conners (Forest was being a little camera shy)
28 Weeks with My Fabulous Mom --- THANK YOU for all your help with the nursery!!! 
This past week my parents came to Indianapolis for a visit and spent lots of time graciously helping us to prepare for our Little One! Thanks to my mom, the nursery is now painted a really fresh gray that looks so beautiful with our furniture and bedding. We also went shopping for some Baby necessities, which was hilarious for everyone because it took my parents back to what things were like when I was a baby.  My Dad told me about how excited he was when Korey and I were finally potty trained because he did not have to buy diapers anymore. In the vein of that memory, he bought us a huge box of Pampers - ha!
My mom painting the nursery --- bye/bye to the brown! 
Baby P's crib bedding and lots of "furry friends!" 
My friend Lindsay and her mom (Pam) threw me a gorgeous baby shower at their home.  The weather outside was so warm – like the first day of Spring – and we were showered with so much love from our Indianapolis friends. It was a beautiful afternoon!   
The tablescape at my baby shower - I want these flowers in my house everyday! 
My incredible Indianapolis family - looooove these girls so much! 
Isn't this such a cute baby blanket?  Pam quilted it herself and it is GORGEOUS! 
My mom and I were also part of a team that planned a wedding shower for my friend, Jess, who has been a friend of mine since 4th grade.   When planning my wedding, I always felt like the best part was being surrounded by the most formative people in our lives – our families and our friends. I could tell that Jess felt that very emotion at her shower. She was over-the-moon with happiness and appreciation for everyone who came to celebrate her upcoming marriage. Isn't she going to be a stunning bride? 
Happy Wedding Shower, Jess --- I love that smile from ear-to-ear! 
Best friends of 14 years --- Anne, Jess, and myself celebrating the bride to be! 
Finally, two things have happened in the past week that caused me to pause and absorb my reaction.  I am coming to find that I respond to certain situations differently as a mom-to-be than I likely would have pre-baby ... 

1.       My mom and I were in a car accident and my car’s bumper now has a bump, just like my growing belly! The accident was very minor, but my immediate reaction was to think about how terrible things could have been. For example, what if the airbag had gone off against my stomach? What if I already had the baby and he/she was in a car seat?  As I was asking all these questions I suddenly realized that every concern I had was about the baby. Not about my safety. Not about my car.  There was a natural “intuition” that kicked in – one that defaulted to the baby’s health, safety, and happiness.
2.       The terrible news of two bombings at yesterday’s Boston Marathon.  Such senseless acts have always caused my heart to ache for the victims and their families, but as we are bringing a baby into this world I find myself praying for hope more than ever before.  I want our child to be raised with the understanding that while there may always be acts of evil, the vast majority of people are inherently good.  I hope we can teach our child the importance of being kind. Of doing the right thing. That even in the face of darkness, we must be resilient and compassionate. We must be courageous. And we must be good.  




2 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on teaching the baby that the majority of people in the world are good. He/she will know that just by having you guys as their parents! I often wish that I could put Liam in a bubble and protect him from the horrible stuff like yesterday's incident but all you can do is raise them to be good people and treat others the way that they want to be treated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura & Kevin! You are both awesome parents and it shows in Liam's smile ... he is such a fun baby and I've loved watching him grow through your pictures and videos! :)

      Delete