Monday, May 13, 2013

MOTHER


“Mom is such a small word for something that means ‘everything in the world.’”

Baby weighs 3.75 lbs. --- getting chubbier everyday! 

In honor of Mother’s Day, Jonny and I thought it would be fun to share 3 things that each of our exceptional Moms has taught us.  These are lessons we will pass along to our Little One:  

Lessons Kristie has learned from Cathi: 
1.       Color outside the lines.  Be unique, think big, and don’t be afraid to go against the grain once in a while … especially if it will lead you to happiness. I promise that if your kindergarten teacher calls me with concerns that you don’t color inside the lines, I won’t be mad. In fact, I will be smiling inside.
2.       Respect yourself.   When you lay your head on the pillow at the end of each day, you want to feel proud of yourself.  Don’t let the popular opinion negatively influence the person you are or the person you can be.  And give others that same respect.
3.       Don’t say “hate.” You should especially avoid this word when speaking about your mother.  Trust me on this. When you are 10 years old and want to test the boundaries just to see what happens when you say those three little words (“I hate you”), you’ll be immediately heartbroken.   

Lessons Jon has learned from Deb: 
1.       Never be satisfied.  Watching my Mom as I grew up taught me to always strive to be the best, and do the best.  She often told me I was a great kid, but when I could improve, she would definitely let me know.  She taught me to always work hard to be better.  Even when I thought I had something down-pat, she could offer advice on how to improve.  She knew everything from English papers to trumpet solos, and taught me to better myself at everything she could.  
2.       Always care for others.  Throughout my childhood, my mom was always helping others.  Her other full time job (besides dressing Sean and I for sledding in the snow) was in-home health care.  Her patients were a top priority, even though there were many times of uncertainty and danger. Despite this, she continued to do her job because she enjoyed helping others.  Currently working in a school system, her students mean the world to her and she works tirelessly to help shape their futures.  No matter how small the help, or thankless the job, she has shown me that helping others is a sure way to increase your own happiness.
3.       Be Accountable.  As with all moms, my Mom is extremely busy.  Even though Sean and I are "out of the house," she still has a million things going on every day.  Even with all of the jobs that she does, she is always accountable to do what she says she will.  If I, or my newly growing family, needed anything, she would offer to help and you could take that offer to the bank.  She always says what she means, and does what she says.  

There is one last lesson from BOTH of our parents: “be good.”  This has been a phrase we first heard as children and have continued to hear ever since. To this day, most of the phone conversations with our parents end with “Be good. Love you!”   We love this Warzala-Pritchard tradition ... definitely one we'll be using as we raise Baby P!

Mother’s Day is dedicated to the wonder-women who raise their kiddos with so much unconditional love.   I can’t wait to be swallowed by that unimaginable amount of love that a mother has for her child. Only 8 short weeks to go… 
Playing our wedding song ("Whatever It Is" - Zac Brown Band) for the little Wiggle-Worm
Planted 7 flats of Begonias in honor of Mother's Day --- it's finally Springtime!  
Jonny lounging with the dogs on our comfy new deck furniture. 
Perfect ending to a perfect Mother's Day (to be) --- YUMMM!



1 comment: