Sunday, June 16, 2013

FATHER

“I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us.” – Umberto Eco

FULL TERM! Keep-on-cookin-baby, but we're ready when you are! 
We joyfully dedicate today’s blog to our Fathers - two inspiring men who have taught us, and continue to teach us, oh-so-much!

LESSONS KRISTIE HAS LEARNED FROM GARY:  
1.       Push Yourself.   Growing up, my dad coached my soccer team, “The Loveland Lightning,” for 8 years.  He gave up countless weeknights and weekends, all while studying for his MBA. It was sometimes hard being the coach’s daughter because I felt he was tougher on me than the other girls. On the field he used to say, “Kristie! PUSH YOURSELF!!”  I hated this … a lot. J  But I eventually learned that I was an excellent slide-tackler (and I still have a hematoma on my shin to prove it).  My Dad taught me that if I found something I enjoyed and pushed myself to excel, I could be great!  Success is always an option if you work hard enough.   
2.       Give.  There are lots of stories about my dad getting in trouble when he was a little kid. My favorite is the one about him starting a fire under the front porch of his parents’ house.   As he grew into an adult, he remained a goofball, although a bit more grounded. For example, after winning a City Amateur Golf Tournament, he dedicated his win to a local boy that recently passed away from a heart defect.  After becoming a father, my Dad remained a kid-at-heart, but continued to set an example of giving.  When Korey was born, he ran around the hospital excitedly handing out candy to everyone he saw – even to those who weren’t a part of Korey’s delivery. There’s unlimited happiness (and fun) to be found in giving unto others.
3.       A Family that Boats Together, Stays Together.  Every family eventually reaches a certain pinnacle of “busy.”  There are lots of groundhog days: wakeup, school/work, practice, homework, dinner, more homework, bed.   Wash. Rinse. Repeat.  But then one year, my parents bought a boat. It was a Celebrity named “Cheers” and we loved every little teak-wood inch of it.  Just about every other weekend in the summertime we’d drive 3.5 hours to Lake Cumberland, KY --- leaving the Groundhog behind. Right before I married Jonny, my dad told me how happy he was that I was marrying a boater.  “A family that boats together, stays together,” he said.  We can’t wait to put our Little One on the boat and make memories, just like the awesome ones my parents created for us on Lake Cumberland. 

LESSONS JONNY HAS LEARNED FROM STAN:  
1.      There isn’t a problem, just a different solution.  My dad has a fix for anything.  Whether it is a way to fix an appliance or push through a work issue (as he calls them, “opportunities”), he can always figure out a way to better the situation.  He always finds a different way to approach things when my line of thinking gets blocked.  If you need proof, go to his garage and tell him a certain tool you need.  He can either find one or get something that will do the job even better.  It isn’t the problem that you need to think about, it’s how to solve it.
2.       Camping is fun.  Actually camping is therapeutic.  Our family has had lots of great camping trips over the years.  When we were little, we would camp at Raystown Lake, and then we had scouting trips.  We also had overnight camping trips to the farm.  Being out there in the “wilderness” gave me a lot of great memories that I will never forget, but it also taught me valuable skills of how to make do with what we had.  We learned to be resourceful, adaptive, and cook some mean grub over the fire.   Camping isn’t just about setting up a tent and sleeping in a bag, it is about learning, doing, and having a lot of fun spending uninterrupted time with your family around the fire.
3.       Don’t be afraid to try.  This isn’t something my Dad has actually ever said to me, but the man can do about anything when it comes to building, repairing or remodeling.  When we first moved into our house in Loveland, we had a typical basement.  He spent countless hours transforming it into a space that we spent a lot of time in as kids.  Now, I haven't learned how to finish a basement (yet), but I have learned how to think through a project.  I have also learned not to step on nails.  My Dad and I are working to build some cabinets for our kitchen at the moment.   Do I know how to build cabinets?  NOPE! But I am learning and once this project is completed, it will probably be one of my favorite parts of our house.

A father nurtures, supports, coaches, and protects. Jonny will surely pass these lessons down to our Little One, a reflection of the limitless love we have received from our remarkable fathers!

Here are some pictures of Jonny’s fathers-day (to-be) weekend celebration: 

Father's Day breakfast - homemade banana muffins (coffeeeee on the side)! 
Jonny napping in his new hammock - made in the shade! 
Italian Fest downtown, where a couple of Catholic Sisters gave us a rubber baby to demonstrate how big our baby was 25 weeks ago. We have come a LONG WAY! 
Jonny and his new axe - it's time to chop down some trees! 
Looks like JP is going to do just great pushing a stroller in a few weeks! 
Trees are down and we're ready for a bonfire tonight :) 
Power-washing where the trees used to be.  This is Jonny's version of "nesting." 
Dad! You're the best, you're the best!  I'm so excited that I dunked my beard a little too deep in the water bowl! 
Happy Father's Day, Dad! I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for this day!!! 
Tired from alllll the fun we've had on Father's Day! Time for a snuggle & a snooze! 

No comments:

Post a Comment